Nazdrave Bulgaria!

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Hey Squaddies!

Having visited Bulgaria before, I was very pleased to have the opportunity to go back! This trip began in Sofia the capital city before moving on to Bansko in the mountains for a few days and then over to the seaside near Burgas.

On arrival I stayed in Arena di Serdica hotel which is in the heart of the city. I was staying in a suite which was huge but most of the two days in Sofia were spent sightseeing and going out to eat. The people I met in the city were very warm and kind, and also on the nights out there was a lot of 'cheersing' (seemed like every 10 minutes) by raising a glass, looking at each other in the eyes and saying 'nazdrave'!
Bansko was the next stop, just a few hours drive from Sofia city into the mountains. The weather was just perfect, around 30 degrees. Upon arrival at the Kempinski - Bansko it was time for the most perfect lunch with sashimi and a glass of rose wine! The rooms were again huge and had a gorgeous view of the surroundings. The spa, hot tub and jacuzzi were just amazing and the rest of my time was spent by the pool!
For a more traditional dinner, the surrounding restaurants in the Bansco area offered a cultural experience with musicians playing folk music and I tried out a delicious Bulgarian homemade sausage which they call 'lukanka'.
After the mountains, it was time to head to the seaside and seeing the lovely bright sunflower fields along the way. I stayed in a boutique hotel called Villa Arte. The hotel was a 5 minute walk to the seaside but you don't really need to leave the hotel, for instance on day one after having a delicious homemade breakfast I just spent some time lounging by the poolside! The hotel service was so personal and the restaurant served really tasty, good quality fresh fish and seafood meals. Now I'm home I just miss the added touch of fresh flowers at the meal times and also a handful of fresh lavender by the bedside!
After the seaside I was in Sofia for one last day before going back to Doha, staying this time in an edgy modern hotel called Sense Hotel. This hotel has the most beautiful rooftop bar & restaurant. Oh did I mention the rooms were huge? After soaking up a week of sunshine I just needed their ultra cool and chic spa facilities to revive my skin before heading back home. The rooftop was a total wanderlust location for drinking a few sundowners and overlooking the amazing St Alexander Nevsky Cathedral. 

Nazdrave Bulgaria, you will be missed!

This is not a sponsored post. To read more information on the hotels I have mentioned, please see the below links:







You Might Also Like

0 comments